Reviewers can access reviews in two ways:
- Using the link in their request email
- Checking the Review section on the Dashboard
If you login to a janeway journal and are a reviewer for that journal you will find a review section on your dashboard where you can see if you have any active review requests.
Either way you will come to the Review Form page. It is split into three sections.
- Review Guidelines
- Review Files
- Review Form
The review guidelines section displays information on how the editor would like you to undertake the review. There are general review guidelines and guidelines that are specific to this review form (as journals can have multiple forms).
Also in this section you have an option to accept or decline the review. If you used the Dashboard > Review Requests > Review Form route and have accepted already you may only see the Decline button. If you opt to decline to review you will be asked if you can suggest any other reviewers who may be suitable.
A list of the review files that the editor has selected for you to use to complete the review are listed here. Sometimes there can be quite a few files so you also have the option of downloading them as a zip file.
The review form is where the magic happens! It can be a single large text box or multiple boxes with checkboxes and drop downs. Each element in the form will have help text to assist you in completing it.
The sections of this form are:
- Review File
- Here you can upload your review if you want to complete if offline, though this may be disabled on a journal by journal basis.
- Review Field
- This is the main review form element, it could be made up of one or many questions
- You are asked to make a recommendation from the following options:
- Minor Revisions
- Major Revisions
- Comments for the Editor
- If you have any additional comments they can be added here, these are for consumption by the editor only.
Once you have submitted your review you will be shown a run down of what you submitted. Please note you will not be able to go back once you have pressed submit.